What Is Beard Balm
Beard balm is a leave-in conditioner that seals moisture in hair while granting low to medium hold for your beard. This beard care product usually has a more viscous consistency that requires heat to melt prior to application.
Why You Should Use Beard Balm
One normally reaches for a tin of beard balm when they want a degree of control and manageability while still keeping their beard conditioned and healthy. While each beard balm is created differently, they usually have an ingredient that gives the balm a tacky or viscous consistency. For example, our beard oils utilize all-natural beeswax. This particular element gives beard balm the strength needed to keep flyaway whiskers down while also locking moisture in your beard hairs and skin. In addition to this viscous ingredient, great beard balms will usually add in complementary ingredients like carrier oils that further nourish the skin and hair for a healthy beard.
Beard balm might sound like it delivers exactly what a beard oil does, and this is partially true. While both beard and mustache care solutions nourish your beard and stave off annoying beard ailments, beard balm offers more strength for taming wayward whiskers and can be used as a styling agent. Beard balm also makes your beard or mustache appear a lot thicker as it creates volume by adding friction between hairs.
Who Should Use Beard Balm
- Anyone with a beard or moustache
- Anyone that needs to tame flyaway whiskers
- Those that feel tightness in the skin beneath their facial hair
- Those with beard dandruff or flakiness
- Those living in colder, windy, and/or dry climates
- Those trying to train their beard or mustache
How Do You Use Beard Balm
For optimal effectiveness, make sure to thoroughly cleanse and towel dry your facial hair prior to applying beard oil.
1. Scoop a nickel-sized amount of beard balm onto your palm. If it’s a little too firm, you can use your nail to scrape out the balm. If it’s really really firm, use a blow dryer to warm up the balm prior to scooping.
2. Rub the beard balm between your palms until it softens up and distributes evenly throughout your palm and fingers.
3. Run your hands through your beard starting from the roots and ending at the tips of your hair. Make sure to thoroughly cover all of your hairs and the skin beneath your beard.
4. Using a boar bristle brush, brush your facial hair until no hairs are sticking out. Alternatively, you can use a comb or your hand to shape and style our beard or mustache.
PRO-TIP: Rub the residual beard balm on your neck to moisturize your skin and add a light scent to your body.
As with all of our products, our beard balm is crafted with a slew of natural ingredients aimed at nourishing your facial hair and preventing the common annoyances of having a beard including beard itch, dandruff, hair breakage and fallout, dryness, and irritation. Natural ingredients help to make your beard look thicker and are less likely to irritate your skin. We’ve specifically chosen the following ingredients to condition your facial hair for one godly beard:
- Beeswax and Candelilla Wax create a barrier between your beard and the elements, locking moisture where you need it
- Jojoba Wax protects hair and prevents skin from flaking
- Shea Butter prevents beard dandruff as well as promotes elasticity in hair and skin
- Aloe Vera soothes irritated skin and prevents skin cells from being further damaged
- Avocado oil and Jojoba seed form a whisker softening, volume enhancing dynamic duo
Q. Can I use beard balm with beard oil at the same time?
A. You sure can, and it’s certainly a great grooming 1-2 punch. We suggest applying the beard oil first and thoroughly brushing it through the length of your beard and the skin beneath. Then, follow up with the beard balm to further lock in moisture and grant control.
Q. What kind of hold does the beard balm have?
A. Our beard balm features a light, natural hold. It certainly grants more control than a beard oil but not as much as a mustache wax or pomade. The hold of our beard balm is ideal for keeping down flyaway whiskers without making your hairs crunchy. It’s also great for training your beard hairs.
Q. Should I use beard balm or beard oil?
A. Beard balm and beard oil are beneficial for both beards and mustaches of all types and lengths. Your facial hair will instantly be better when you use either of these products, so don’t stress over which to get. Try both, see which one you like, and go with that.
With that out of the way, here are some of our recommendations when people ask us this question:
- Want to pin down stray hairs? Want your beard or mustache to look thicker or denser? Get beard balm.
- Want the softest beard imaginable? Have a super long beard that you’re having trouble applying balm to? Get beard oil.